Sunday, June 21, 2009

Dad 1, Daughter 0

Nothing says Happy Father’s Day like running up the score against your dad. I wasn’t trying to. There are no style points in fantasy. And really, he’d let me have it if I eased up, along with the other 10 players in our league. I did the same thing last year to my mom on Mother’s Day. (Yes, my mom has her own team. She’s pretty good, although she mistakenly drops players all the time.) What makes my Father’s Day story even worse is that my dad called me at work Tuesday to tell me I hadn’t set my starting pitchers. Awe, thanks Dad. I raced home and started Gil Meche and Felix Hernandez who would (gulp) throw complete game shutouts. I am the worst daughter in the world.

Happy Father’s Day to all the dads, especially mine. Hope you enjoyed a good day of afternoon baseball and the U.S. Open, like my dad did. Here are a few gifts for you:

Trevor Cahill – Not surprisingly, Oakland has another quality starting pitcher. But surprisingly, he’s owned by only 30 percent in Yahoo leagues. In his last game, he held the Dodgers dangerous offense to only four hits and two unearned runs in 5.1 innings. The former Olympic pitcher has given up more than two earned runs only twice this season (although both were doozies – seven runs both times). Still, over the past six games, he is 2-2 with a 2.65 ERA.

Kevin Correia – The Padres pitcher has allowed only five runs and 11 hits over his past three starts, improving his ERA to 4.52. Correia has shown impressive control, surrendering only one walk in his past three games. Owned in only 17 percent of Yahoo leagues.

Juan Rivera – A great replacement player for an ailing or underperforming outfielder. Has four home runs and seven RBI this week, with a respectable .312 average. I snagged the Angels outfielder while Raul Ibanez serves time on the DL. His stock is climbing – owned by 69 percent in Yahoo leagues – so grab him quickly if you need him.

Jeremy Accardo – Replacing the injured Scott Downs for the Blue Jays, Accardo has pitched 2.2 scoreless innings since being promoted from Triple-A Las Vegas Stars. Has potential to regain his form from 2007 when he saved 30 games. Owned by only 22 percent in Yahoo leagues.



Have a question? Or Father's Day suggestions for next year? E-mail Erin at erskelley@yahoo.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment