Monday, May 25, 2009

Pitchers: now hiring, inquire within

Barring the playoffs, the draft is by far the highlight of any fantasy season. Whether it’s online or at a sports bar, there’s plenty of smack talk, name calling and misinformation. The arrogance and self-hype, while annoying, is almost contagious. And someone always takes Jim Thome too early.

I over prepare for a draft because that’s what I do. I gauge how the first 10 rounds will unfold, and I scour the Internet looking for sleeper pitchers. But there are always a few players who slip away, and a few decisions (or make that several) that I wish I could go back and change.

But that’s OK. The draft itself is overrated. Look how much your team changes…or should change, over the course of 162 games. Whether you have Manny Ramirez or Lance Berkman – don’t panic, you’re still in it. A-Rod’s cyst and Brian McCann’s blurred vision, while frustrating, you managed to find a temporary replacement. You can even accept Jose Valverde’s DL status after having his calf drained, especially if you picked up LaTroy Hawkins.

All of this is manageable if you’re a good manager and can find a suitable substitute. That’s what the “add-drop” is for. It can turn any bad draft around. But there’s only one problem this year.

My league is now a 12-team league.

What used to be a transaction lover’s paradise is now a scavenger hunt with all the good players, and even the bad ones, taken. I feel like Cecil Cooper scanning his minor league rosters for prospects: Surely, there has to be someone I can call up. Come on, Ed, seriously…where are you hiding our pitchers?

A few days ago, I was shopping for a pitcher, and I felt like I arrived at the garage sale after the morning rush - forced to sift through mismatched coffee mugs and tools I’ve never seen before. That was me, only looking at the available orphan pitchers.

Scanning through the list, I see Ricky Nolasco is available. If it weren’t for his 9.07 ERA, I’m sure he’d be a great addition. What about Scott Morrow? He pitched two scoreless innings on Thursday to lower his ERA to 8.03. He’s on a roll. Manny Parra has an ERA under 6.00, but allowed eight earned runs (yes, eight!) on Saturday. I did notice Doug Davis was available. But last year, I had him, dropped him, and repeated. Both departures were ugly. There’s Shaun Marcum – hurt, Jesse Litsch – hurt, and Tim Hudson – also hurt. You see where I’m going with this.

Where is the bargain bin?

I ended up with Yankees middle reliever Alfredo Aceves. This is the first middle reliever I have ever, ever had on my team. I’m not a big fan of middle relievers. Not enough output, and too much risk. Plus, most are in the middle for a reason: they're not good enough to start or close. But I had an open slot on my roster. And his ERA was barely above 1.00. So, in a moment of weakness, I picked him up. And got burned. In his first outing on team Lil Bow Wow, he gives up one run in one inning for a 9.00 ERA. I hate middle relievers.

Enough about me. Here are a few pitchers who might be available if you’re lucky:

Josh Outman – I’m sure he’s tired of hearing this, but what a great name for a pitcher. Much better than pitcher Homer Bailey’s name. Outman has surrendered only two earned runs in his last 19.2 innings for Oakland. He’s owned in only 1 percent of all Yahoo leagues. Of course, he’s already taken in my 12-team league. Of course.

Ricky Romero – has completed his rehab assignment for his strained right oblique, and is scheduled to start Tuesday at Baltimore. Look for him to resume his dominance, albeit brief, with a 1.71 ERA before his injury. The Blue Jays hurler is taken in only 17 percent of Yahoo leagues.

Rick Porcello – boasts a 3.55 ERA, winning his last four starts for the Tigers. Porcello has yielded only three runs in his last 24 innings. Owned in only 36 percent of Yahoo leagues.

Have a question – or a starting pitcher – for me? E-mail Erin at erskelley@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment